News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Neck surgury has not healed in over 1 year <35 yrs old

trdavis222 - Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:07 pm

I had neck surgury last November (11th of 2007). They took a piece of my hip bone and fused my C4/C5 vertabras. Recovery has been very slow and I have been on multiple pain killers the entire time. I have been seeing my doctor every couple of months and my bone is not growning and the hardware is now comeing loose (one screw is loose). He is talking about another surgury, but I am very concerned why I am not having any new bone growth. I am 34 years old and a non smoker. I have expressed my concern to my doctor and he doesn't know why I am not growing any bone. Should I be alarmed that not only is the pain not gettting any better, but I am unable to heal from this type of surgury? It is throwing up a red flag and I want to know why.

Any help or direction to what questions I need to ask or where I need to look for any answers would be helpful.

Thanks
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:46 pm

User avatar One question that comes to mind is the cervical bone quality (which could be assessed during the operation) and the alignment of the cervical spine post operatively.
This would be starting points for assessing why the spine has not fused and why the screws are slipping out.
Other questions to address are the general state of the cervical spine pre operatively and what were the expected outcomes (pain relief, movement). Of course your neck is not near expected outcome but how severely damaged was the next before surgery.
How was the rehab?
Often times the levels above and below the fusion site become hypermobile and arthritc and may degenerate. How are these levels?
Talk through these things with the orthopedist and perhaps ask for a second opinion.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here