Question: Green skin after break of ankle, took cast off after 7 weeks

Pern - Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:41 pm

I broke my ankle about 7 weks ago...
had cast on for 3.5 weeks and leg/foot sweeling went down so they replaced cast.
at that time there was no brusing... in the areas i have now.

upon removing cast(2nd) about 3.5 weeks afer it was put on..

there is brusing..primarily around the foot( heal area)

its black,blue and green...primarily green

i just wanted to know your thoughts on this...

the ortopediacs i went too seamsed very compident..and very nice...
and said they wanted me to keep off it for a week and return...that was yesterday..

im concerened about it so im asking anything that my help me with this...

just a bit scared never seen green brures before.
thank you for any info you may have
Johnny
aka Pern
im 39 years old and i go tthe break by falling into a furnace return air register..and landed on my right ankle breaking it
 Dr. A. Saif - Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:08 pm

User avatar Dear Pern,

You seem to be describing the rare phenomenon that occurs after some fractures (particularly those associated with high temperature machinery) with the progressive, completely irreversible, transformation into a Martian... Just kidding!!! Sorry couldn't help myself, and very unprofessional I know.

The green discoloration is caused by the breakdown of the constituents of a bruise. The bruise is actually cause by blood leaking into the damaged tissues. Blood contains Haemoglobin, which is bluish when deoxygenated (hence the intial bruise is purple or blue) the Haem contains iron, and as it transforms from the ferric (orange) to the ferrous (green) form the bruise can go through a various shades of color. The orthopedic surgeon is quite correct to reassure you that the discoloration itself is not much to worry about.

I hope your recovery will continue uneventfully, and once again apologise for my sense of humour ;-)

Regards

Saif
 Pern - Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:56 pm

Didnt you know laughter helps....

i did smile when i read it... my Fieancee(spelling) loves marvin the martian so the joke was nice...

my greenish skin seams to be going away...
im happy i found this site...im a bit more relived that i got another Doctors thoughts..

thanks for answering my question...

it will tkae time to heal(im a landscaper so i don't have to work till late febuary(on lawns) so i have a few months to recoup..

hopefully it wont take too long...im staying off it..so the bruies will heal and hopefully get rid of the green tint..i was reading after i found this site..about the levels of brusing..with purple/black - blue - green - yellow - fade...
so i felt better when i saw that...i was concerned as im a diabetic 2 and i was just a bit worried...

thanks alot..and good luck in your practic(noticed your about the same age as me, so you must not be in your profesion long)....

thanks agian for helping me out
Johnny
aka Pern
 sarlon515 - Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:43 pm

i kinda hate to ask about something sort of off topic but i have not found a proper forum area. i have a slightly simaler problem. about a week ago, i cut my finger nails back and afterwords, about a day or so after, the skin around one corner of my left ring finger turned green and slightly swollen. this post puts me a little at ease but i want to be sure its nothing to be worried about.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:06 pm

Greenish color with swelling at the edge of a recently cut fingernail does not necessarily mean a bruise which is healing.
I would be concerned about infection.
From time to time, the skin around the nails become infected and needs to be drained.
See your family physician for correct diagnosis.

|