Question: discolored hand and fingers under splint

timmy8388 - Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:16 am

i have a fractured 5th metacarpol bone and i have been wearing a splint for a week, i took off the splint to clean my arm and hand and i have purple blotches, yellowish skin, and blueish fingers and it smells bad. i can move my fingers but sometimes they get just a little numb and the fracture hardly hurts. should i worry about the discoloration or is this normal.
 timmy8388 - Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:07 pm

a answer would be nice please
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:55 pm

These marks could be the effect of the trauma that caused the fracture and with time they will disappear.

The presence of infection should be excluded and managed properly, since bad odor is usually a sign of bacterial growth.

You would benefit getting checked by your primary care physician or your orthopedics. So, I would advise you to follow up with your doctor. He might also recommend a follow up X-ray.

Please keep us updated.
 timmy8388 - Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:23 am

my hand is looking much better i had a friend who is a nurse look at it and she said it looks very good it also hardly hurts, i am looking to get back to work a.s.a.p. how long does it normaly take for something like this to heal? thank you very much.

|