News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: discolored hand and fingers under splint

timmy8388 - Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:16 am

i have a fractured 5th metacarpol bone and i have been wearing a splint for a week, i took off the splint to clean my arm and hand and i have purple blotches, yellowish skin, and blueish fingers and it smells bad. i can move my fingers but sometimes they get just a little numb and the fracture hardly hurts. should i worry about the discoloration or is this normal.
 timmy8388 - Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:07 pm

a answer would be nice please
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:55 pm

User avatar Hello,

These marks could be the effect of the trauma that caused the fracture and with time they will disappear.

The presence of infection should be excluded and managed properly, since bad odor is usually a sign of bacterial growth.

You would benefit getting checked by your primary care physician or your orthopedics. So, I would advise you to follow up with your doctor. He might also recommend a follow up X-ray.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.
 timmy8388 - Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:23 am

my hand is looking much better i had a friend who is a nurse look at it and she said it looks very good it also hardly hurts, i am looking to get back to work a.s.a.p. how long does it normaly take for something like this to heal? thank you very much.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here