News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: popped shoulder

prieta10888 - Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:51 pm

i was laying sideways last night before going to sleep and i reached for my cat behind me and i heard my shoulder pop!the pain woke me up twice in the night and it hurt all day today.i cant fully lift or move my right arm.someone told me to see if i can touch my left shoulder without pain and i tried it but it hurt.i work as valet and even turning the wheel of the car hurt.cant handle heavy things.what to do?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:05 pm

User avatar Hello -

Most likely, given the circumstances of your shoulder injury, you pulled a tendon, perhaps popping it over a structure that normally confines it. This can cause quite startling sudden pain, with significant tenderness for a while afterward, but most often is simply inflammatory and nothing is damaged. Resting the shoulder as much as possible, use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatories and, in stubborn cases, local steroid injection, usually will get things under control. If the pain becomes worse or persists more than a week, the shoulder should be x-rayed to be sure there's no previous injury nor any unusual tear of any structure. This is pretty unlikely, but some individuals are more prone to this than most. Since you seem to have no history of this sort of problem, this was probably a relatively freak thing, perhaps due to overreaching while very relaxed.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here