Question: popped shoulder

prieta10888 - Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:51 pm

i was laying sideways last night before going to sleep and i reached for my cat behind me and i heard my shoulder pop!the pain woke me up twice in the night and it hurt all day today.i cant fully lift or move my right arm.someone told me to see if i can touch my left shoulder without pain and i tried it but it hurt.i work as valet and even turning the wheel of the car hurt.cant handle heavy things.what to do?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:05 pm

Most likely, given the circumstances of your shoulder injury, you pulled a tendon, perhaps popping it over a structure that normally confines it. This can cause quite startling sudden pain, with significant tenderness for a while afterward, but most often is simply inflammatory and nothing is damaged. Resting the shoulder as much as possible, use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatories and, in stubborn cases, local steroid injection, usually will get things under control. If the pain becomes worse or persists more than a week, the shoulder should be x-rayed to be sure there's no previous injury nor any unusual tear of any structure. This is pretty unlikely, but some individuals are more prone to this than most. Since you seem to have no history of this sort of problem, this was probably a relatively freak thing, perhaps due to overreaching while very relaxed.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us as needed.

|