Question: is this legal?

fl cat - Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:42 pm

I have a friend who was run over by a car about 12 months ago. She still has a lot of problems: blader, kidneys, she needs her sholder rebroken and pins put in. She had a appt. with her primary yesterday to get her refills, the Dr. office called her on monday and said they would no longer see her and not to come in. She is on a lot of meds for all her problems, she went to the er and they gave her some of her meds but did not give her anything for her pain. She had been taking oxy 40's and roxy 5 for BT. Is it dangerous for her to stop cold? The Dr. gave no reason why he dropped her. Is it legal to stop treating someone with on-going medical problems with no warning?
 awtrevor - Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:30 pm

While it is not illegal for a doctor to stop seeing a patient, it is not ethical unless there was a particular reason. In this case i think it is because this patient is on Ocycontin 40 twice a day and Oxy IR. Alot of doctors are uncomfortable about prescribing regular narcotics to a patient. This patient should see a pain specialist who would be more comfortable with narcotics.
 Kady - Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:30 pm

I agree with AWT, your friend's MD probably is not comfortable prescribing so many narcotics. I believe the MD has every right to "fire" their patient, in fact, as a RN in a level I trauma center, I have seen this happen. Typically, when I have seen this happen, it is because the patient will not follow their MD's advice, refusing diagnostic tests/treatments etc. to find a sources of what is possibly causing pain, but they still want their pain medications. It sounds like your friend has been through a lot, but maybe he/she is not telling you the full reason he/she was dropped by their doctor. If this is truly the case for him/her, then it is better for them to find another doctor, I mean, why would he/she want to see someone who is longer interested in treating them? Also, maybe your friend needs to see a pain management physician who is very familiar with treating chronic pain and can help your friend achieve pain relief in the safest and most effective way.

Hope this helps,
Kady

|