Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: loss of cervical curve

sarugli - Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:18 am

i have been suffering from periodic ear pain and lower back pain for a couple of years. Now i also get neck pain. My doctor sent me for a neck x-ray, and they told me i have lost the correct curve to the spine in the neck. I was told it was caused by muscle spasms. My neck was not examined, so how can they know it is due to this? Could it be for another reason? I am 37 years old. Thankyou.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:31 pm

User avatar Besides bony changes which would show up on xray (eg ankylosing spondylitis of lumbar spine), nothing else comes to mind that would cause a straightening of a normal lordotic curve of the cervical spine. Muscle spasms certainly would cause this. All this means is the neck muscles are keeping the neck stiff to prevent painful movement. There is probably a strain or sprain in the neck area causing the symtoms. Usually time, rest, heat, OTC analgesics, and gradual gentle range of motion resolves the condition. If you develop numbness, tingling, or weakness in either arm consult your physician because this may mean nerve tissue is being pinched or inflamed.
Keep us updated.
 sarugli - Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:45 pm

thank you so much for your reply, it really is appreciated.
It's good to know that it's nothing more serious! Could it be the same thing in my lower back?
I have had pain in my right shoulder , hand and arm, and my hand loses it's strength, but this has only happened sometimes, and it lasts for about 30-60 mins, so i don't know if i need to tell the doctor about this or not.
Thank you for your time.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:42 am

If the symptoms in the hand and arm persist or worsen, it would be good to mention that to your physician.

He or she can evaluate your upper limbs and neck to differentiate if the problem is from the neck or from a local disturbance (eg carpal tunnel syndrome).

Yes, the lumbar spine can have muscles spasms which straighten the spine but not as common as the cervical spine.

Keep us posted.
 sarugli - Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:29 am

hi,
i have a numb ring finger and pinky, and part of my palm, for the last 3 weeks. I phoned a doctor and he told me to take some movatec for a week. It did not help at all.Is this most likely coming from my neck? wHICH TYPE OF DOCTOR SHOULD I SEE ABOUT THIS? orthopedic or neurologist?
Also i've been having flank pain on and off for some time, seems heavy around my waist and kidney area. Have tried drinking more water, but this does not help.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:59 pm

Yes, the cervical spine should be evaluated for nerve impingement while the kidney and bladder system should be evaluated for infection or dysfunction.

Family physician can evaluate initially for the neck problem otherwise a neurologist would be better than ortho.

sarugli - Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:54 pm

thankyou very much

|