Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Lower back pain and numbness

kayakgirl - Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:23 pm

I am a 23 year old female, with two children, about three weeks ago I was drying off my oldest son after his bath, I kneeled down and hit my tailbone right on the toilet paper holder, i don't know if the pain or the actual hitting the holder did it, but it knocked the wind out of me. I was in very severe pain for about three days, but i never went to the doctor or ER because I didn't think it would last very long, but now i am having pain in my lower back, still some moderate pain right on my tailbone, and when i lean to the left or right while sitting, my lower back gets numb. When i sit without leaning there is just a lot of pain. Taking Advil makes it a little better, but it still hurts to stand up or walk around, but sitting gives me the least amount of pain, where when i first hurt my tailbone sitting was the worst pain. I don't know if the pain in my lower back in connected to what happened to my tailbone, but my question is, should I go see a doctor, or keep taking advil and wait for the injury to heal?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:15 pm

User avatar Hi there -

You may well have a fracture of the coccyx (tailbone) and, while often nothing is done other than to treat it symptomatically, that is, manage the pain while the bone is healing. Pain management may mean not only medication for the actual pain, but orthopedic devices to use to help make you more comfortable (such as a donut pillow to sit on, since sitting often aggravates the pain), and teaching you how to sit more comfortably during the healing process if you aren't able to use to donut pillow. Also, since this injury can cause a lot of discomfort at during bowel movements, you may want to use a stool softener (your doctor should be able to prescribe or recommend this, too).

Treatment, whether there is an actual fracture or not, is supportive and symptomatic. It was a very freakish accident, but then again, aren't they all? (We usually see these as the result of ice skating falls, etc.). The good news is it does heal. You should see your doctor or go to an ER if your doctor puts you off for very long, as the pain can be almost disabling at times.

I hope this is helpful to you. So sorry this happend! See your doctor for medication and accessories as needed and follow up with us as necessary. Good luck to you.

|