Question: Rib Pain - No injury or strain

Akaia - Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:30 pm

Beginning about 5 days ago I started noticing tenderness when i press on the lower part of my rib cage on my left side. Looking at me from the left side it starts about an inch toward the front from my center line and spreads about 3 to 4 inches along the lower edge of my rib cage. It's been steadily getting worse although I've done nothing to the area or to myself anywhere for that matter. Now it hurts just to the touch with very slight pressure.
I've probed around and it seems the pain is actually from the ribs and not an organ behind them but the probing is painful so it's hard to tell. It's worst at the tip of the ribs where it crosses over to soft abdomen area.
Normally I am very active for work but my routine has not included manual labor for a couple weeks now due to snow. We've been stuck inside for the last week but I've been out for walks each day and trying to watch my computer work posture.
Just a side note: Two days ago I had a pressure pain that lasted for about 2 days in my underarm. I couldn't find any lumps or swelling and it went away yesterday.
That's all i can think of. I've never injured my ribs, haven't been lifting lately and am not accustomed to issues in the area.
I'm healthy, 5-11, 170lbs, decent diet.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:57 am

User avatar It would be worthwhile to have a chest and rib xray and may do a urine analysis to screen for kidney and urinary tract problems.

No mention of fever or trauma or cough.

This probably is a rib or intercostal (between the ribs) muscle strain/sprain.
Good pain control with over the counter analgesics and hot or cold compresses will help but check with your family physician first to do the above tests and to a evaluate your case in the office.

Keep us posted.
 Akaia - Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:38 am

I went to my GP two days ago since the pain wasn't letting up and at the same time I was having early symptoms of a bladder infection. Funny you mention urinary tract testing. I'm on some antibiotics for that now and the symptoms have improved somewhat.

He didn't seem concerned with doing x-rays and it seems you're both right on the money since I'm starting to feel better. I will be sure to post an update if the pain won't subside.

Thanks a bunch for the response! It's my first time on the site and love it already.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:00 pm

User avatar Thanks for keeping us posted.

|