Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Lower Back Swelling After 2 recent falls.

emerld_pearl - Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:26 pm

I fell off my front stairs a month ago and my tailbone still hurts and now my dog knocked me down the back steps onto my lower back. I have some scrapes and bruises and my lower spine is puffy and tender to the touch. Don't know if it is just a bruise or do I need to see a doctor. My tailbone is getting better with time, but now worried about a secone injury a month later. It is at the base of my spine where I hit this time. A little puffy and it hurts to sit back.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:36 pm

It sounds like the tailbone is better but the lumbar area is tender and swollen over the area of trauma.

It is important to assess whether the symptoms are improving or worsening. Depending on the condition of bone in the spine (e.g osteoporotic vs healthy bone), the lumbar spine is difficult to fracture ...with healthy bone.

If symptoms are not improving, worsening...and the spine is becoming stiff and painfull to move, an xray would be indicated.

Treatment for acute lumbar strain includes ice, NSAIDS, rest, and gradual return to daily activities.

Keep us posted.

|