Question: Possible sacral fracture from atv accident.

Amandarina - Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:41 pm

I was in an ATV accident. I landed onto my friends knee. The impact of the knee was at my sacroilliac area and my spine, maybe in the L5, S1, S2 area. I could not lift my leg for the first week, and now (1- 1/2 weeks later) it is extremely painful to the touch. I can walk pretty well, but sitting down is excrutiating. It feels as if there is a large lump (golf ball size or a little smaller) every time pressure is put onto my low back in that area. It still has a nasty bruise. It also hurts in the front around the top of my hip down to almost the groin, that pain is at least bearable, though. I am trying to avoid a large hospital bill, as I have no insurance. I reserched and found maybe it was a sacroilliac fracture. Is it o.k. to heal on my own? I have been taking Lortabs for the pain that were prescibed from a previous accident, about 3 a day. I hope this is enough information for someone to offer some advice. Thank you in advance.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:02 pm

User avatar With trauma and unrelenting pain in the back, it is important to have the pelvis and lumbar spine xray'd. Fractures left untreated may not heal properly and lead to more problems in the future.
Also, watch for numbness, pain, and weakness in the lower extremities. These may be signs of re injury to the lumbar discs.

Keep us posted.

|