News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: badly sprained thumb. What should i do

flying_inside - Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:31 am

i came off my bike and badly sprained my thumb about 2 weeks ago and it is still slightly swollen and causes much pain when i try to straighten said thumb. i still have some grip although not much and there is no bruising so I'm certain its not broken but this morning whilst play fighting with my partner, i bent it back ever so slightly and the pain was immense and i started getting dizzy. so my question is would it help to support said thumb with a create bandage?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:57 pm

User avatar Hello,
I have been mistaken about fractures with the "just by looking at it" approach. The only way to find out if a bone is fractured is to xray it.
I would splint it with a thumb spica splint which gives excellent thumb support while the tissue has time to heal.
Keep us posted.
 flying_inside - Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:07 am

thank you for your reply. the pain has lessened but if i put any strain on it the pain returns and my thumb swells slightly at the knuckle. believe me when i say i appreciate how easy it is to miss a hairline fracture as i've had a few but i know if i go to the hospital for an x-ray it would be a waste of the doctors valuble time. so if you could explain how to aply this splint and any thing else i need to know i will aply said splint. if my thumb doesn't improve i will then go to the hospital. i also appriciate that if it is a fracture and i splint it, it could ( in the worst case ) lead to corrective surgery but it is a risk i'm willing to take.

once again thanks for your reply and i look forward to hearing from you soon.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:45 pm

User avatar Hello,
The thumb spica splint is a specific splint for thumb injuries. It can be purchased at a medical supply company.

Taping the thumb with medical or athletic tape is another option but needs an athletic training to show someone else (ie family member) how to tape it. A tape job can not be done one handed... at least not an adequate tape job.
Essentially, if there is pain bending the thumb back, the direction of the tape should pull the thumb in the opposite direction preventing the painful movement.

Again, the best bet is to seek a medical professional who can give the proper attention to this.

Keep us posted.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here