News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Foot Pain

Crim22 - Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:56 am

Hello, six years ago when I was sixteen years old I had broke my right foot. I broke my foot in three different places. The places where I broke my foot was around the metatarsal. The foot had healed fine but I was still experiencing a little pain. I think that was because of my bones still trying to heal and develop better. Two years ago I was walking from my class to my car and my foot hurt so bad I could barely walk. The only way I could walk was on my heel. I had seen my doctor about it and he prescribed me some anti-inflammatory medicine. The x-ray showed no signs of arthritis. I was told later to change my shoes. I have done that and it improved but whenever I have the shoes for a while my foot hurts. I know I need to change shoes. But I am only twenty-two years old. Is there any possibilities that I could develop arthritis or something else in my foot as I get older.
 Dr. A. Saif - Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:34 pm

User avatar Dear Amanda,

Foot pains are fairly complicated I guess, and really need a thorough clinical examintaion to be sure of the diagnosis and management. But I will try to help if I can. I do not think your problem is due to "arthritis", although it is a coomon condition and if I said "oh yes you will probably get arthritis in the future", i would be right in most cases, whoever I spoke to.

You say that you have to walk on your heel. Presumabaly it is the fore-foot that hurts in this case. Sometimes such discomfort may arise fro having "flat feet", but a more common problem is metatarsalgia, though to be due to a weakened transverse arch. The arches in you foot create a spring effect as you foot strikes the ground and absorb some of the shock of walking...at least that is the theory. If the arches are flattened then the forces are less efficiently transferred.

Metatarsalgia sometimes makes you feel like you are "walking on marbles" and often there is a hardness of the skin over the balls of your feet. This can be heped with a transverse arch support.

Morton's Neuroma is another cause of painful foot. This causes shooting pain in the foot and a pair of toes. The underlying problem is an irriation of a nerve in between two metatarsals. This too may be helped with metatarsal arch supports. Surgery may also help.

There are other causes, of course, but these will be something you can work on for now. Finding the right pair of shoes seem to be the right thing to do, although these may not the ones that a fashioanble 22 year old lady would be keen to wear all the time!

Regards

Saif
 CYNNIEB4 - Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:51 pm

I HAVE A QUESTION. I AM A FEMALE AND RECENTLY HAVE PAIN IN MY RIGHT FOOT. IT IS ON TOP OF THE FOOT. IT IS ON THE LEFT SIDE. IT LOOKS LIKE MY VEIN IS STICKING OUT OF IT. IT HURTS AND I CAN BARELY WALK ON IT AFTER WORKING AN EIGHT HOUR SHIFT. I DIDNT INJURE IT OR BUY ANY NEW SHOES. ANY IDEAS ON WHAT IT COULD BE?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here