Question: broke thumb never went to orthopedic to set it

nika - Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:01 pm

I broke my thumb 2 years ago and I went to the hospital they put a splint on it and told me to make an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon. I never made the appointment I just let it heal and never thought much about it until now.In the very place where I broke it it is swollen and theres a throbbing pain and I can feel a bone poking out. In the other hand i feel no bone in the same spot.I want to know will they rebreak my finger and set it back right or is there nothing that can be done.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:10 pm

To best find out how this thumb is to be managed, it will be important to have an x ray done will orthopedic follow up.
A lot depends on the xray.
There may be a non union fracture where the bone has not healed from the initial injury or a new fracture ...or no fracture. Angulation and displacement if any will be assessed - again this will determine what is to be done.

Let us know how it turns out.

|