News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: broke thumb never went to orthopedic to set it

nika - Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:01 pm

I broke my thumb 2 years ago and I went to the hospital they put a splint on it and told me to make an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon. I never made the appointment I just let it heal and never thought much about it until now.In the very place where I broke it it is swollen and theres a throbbing pain and I can feel a bone poking out. In the other hand i feel no bone in the same spot.I want to know will they rebreak my finger and set it back right or is there nothing that can be done.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:10 pm

User avatar Hello,
To best find out how this thumb is to be managed, it will be important to have an x ray done will orthopedic follow up.
A lot depends on the xray.
There may be a non union fracture where the bone has not healed from the initial injury or a new fracture ...or no fracture. Angulation and displacement if any will be assessed - again this will determine what is to be done.

Let us know how it turns out.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here