News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Bad Posture

bbcnp - Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:17 pm

I have had bad posture my entire life and I decided to see a physical therapist about it a couple months ago. He told me do a couple test such as bending down and touching my feet and he determined that I was born with the bad posture(bones in my back were not shaped properly) and he told me what it was called. I, since then, forgot what this defect(not sure if I can call it that) is called but he told me that schools should have checked for it at a early age. He told me that there was no way to fix it besides surgically adding two metal rods somewhere in my back to help me sit up straight. I was wondering if someone could tell me what I am describing and if there is something I can do about it. Thanks in advance for any help.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:06 am

User avatar Hello,
What you have described is called scoliosis.

Scoliosis is a lateral curvature of the spine. Exercises and sometimes bracing are used to prevent further curvature. If severe, surgery is used to straighten the spine using rods.

Treatment depends on the degree of the curve which is measured using an xray.

Your orthopedic doctor or family physician can order xrays and have the angles of the scoliosis measured and then decide on appropriate treatment.

Let us know how it goes. Take care.

ps When a child has a school or sports physical or well-child visit, it is important to screen the spine for scoliosis in both boys and girls. Early detection and treatment are vital to long term health.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here