News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: radiation and broken leg causes problems, what to do?

kitty3 - Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:44 am

Doctors Lounge-

Thank you so much for making this website available for people with questions regarding their conditions or questions. When I was very young, 2 years old to be exact, I was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma cancer in my left leg. I underwent chemotherapy, radiation, and a bone marrow transplant. I am now in remission at 17 years old. When I was about 7 years old, I broke my left femur (the same leg and area where I had cancer and had the radiation and BMT). I have many health problems that hold me back from things that I love, but one thing that is a major setback in my daily life is my left leg. It is extremely thin compared to the other one and very weak. I know that the radiation and breakage in that leg has caused it to definitely be a lot weaker than my other leg, but I have a very hard time walking without my left leg giving out on me. So, I was wondering is it possible for me to ever strengthen the muscle enough in that leg again so I can do things that I love to do?? And also, is there any kind of brace or something that I can wear around that leg to support it so maybe it won't give out on me as much?

Thanks again for your time.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:38 pm

User avatar Hello,
Thank you for writing to us.
I admire your courage and ambition.

To answer your question about strengthening the leg and using a brace: the answer to both is yes.

Strengthening will focus on both large and small leg muscles that cross the hip, knee and ankle. It will be good to consult a professional like a physical therapist who can teach you the appropriate exercise and how to gradually progress the intensity. The therapist can also recommend a specific brace. The brace will help protect the knee which is probably the area of poor control when the leg gives out. With bracing, it is a must to strengthen the muscle. Muscle power is the best way to guard the leg from giving out.

Make sure you check with your physician before starting the program to make sure the leg (i.e. the bone) is ready for strengthening.

A pool make be a good place to start as it provides buoyancy and you can use water as resistance.

Let us know how things go and if you have any more questions.
Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here