News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Sore spot on back between shoulder blade and spine

glojean - Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:00 pm

This spot has been sore for a couple of years but now has started hurting terribly when standing on my feet. Hurts so badly makes me sick. I've tried heat pad, icy hot and even a cortisone shot but nothing helps.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:28 am

User avatar Hello,
It sounds like the pain is between the shoulder blade and the spine and only on one side.

Any history of trauma: car accidents, falls.
Is this your dominant side?
Is it sore to touch?
Does it improve or worsend with activity...if so what kind of activity?

What has your family physician said about the soreness?

Has he or she referred you to a physical therapist or chiropractor?

Any history of osteoporosis?

As you can tell, more imformation is needed about the specifics of this condition. Your family physician can certainly guide you through these questions and answers and make appropriate referrals (eg physical therapy) and testing (eg thoracic or rib xrays to start - perhaps MRI)

Keep us posted.
 glojean - Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:54 pm

I had my family doctor look at this spot and she says its just a muscle. Doesn't seem very concerned but to me its very painful. It is really sore to the touch but doesn't hurt all the time. I have tried a chiropractor but didn't help. There has not been any accidents, trauma or falls. It is not on my dominant side. It does worsen with standing and while I'm cooking, washing dishes, etc.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:30 am

User avatar Hello,
As a 68 year old with hysterectomy in 1971, it would be important to screen for osteoporosis which can lead to compression fractures in the spine.
Also, I would consider arthritis in the spine as a potential cause of the pain.
The soreness to touch may indeed indicate sore muscle but finding a possible underlying cause may get at the root of the problem.

Finding dexa bone density and spine xray results would be prudent at this time.

Keep us posted.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here