Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: middle and upper back pain

juli1004 - Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:14 pm

I first started to have back pain with the flu 2 months ago. At first, I thought it was related to my flu but I had another flu with period and a back pain few weeks later again. I thought it would go away but now I have constant back pain all the time. the x-ray and the spine showed nothing.
could it be related to my headache and dizziness??
i get really numbness in my legs. especially when i lie down to go to sleep at night.
I never hurt my back.
why i'm having this pain??

Juli
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:03 pm

User avatar Juli,
You posted a history of a couple bouts of flu and constant back pain.
I understand the "flu" as being diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, body aches, chills, fever, headache or was this influenza (a respiratory infection).
You also report dizziness.

I do not see a clear association with flu symptoms and low back pain besides general muscle or body aches.

If any bacteria or viral illness were to cause spine pain (e.g. meningitis), the neck would classically be stiff or painful. Meningitis (an infection of the covering of the spinal cord) causes fever, headache, neck stiffness, and nausea/vomiting.

Most acute low back resolves in 30 days without any specific rehabilitation. We treat symptoms with ice or heat packs, analgesics, and gentle exercise. If symptoms of leg weakness, pins and needles, numbness, or inability to pee develop then further testing is needed to rule out nerve damage.

It is important to see your family physician who can hear your case, examine you and give you a diagnosis with appropriate treatment.

Let us know how it goes.
 juli1004 - Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:40 am

My neck has been hurting for a month now and I don't know what it is. i can't bend my neck to the left because it hurt so much but i can do it on the right. I did go to a neurologist because i also have a headache but he really didn't say much. I went to ER because i was having a lot of pain and I was able to get an MRi done in the ER because otherwise i'll have to wait forever but the MRI show normal.
should i be concern about this??
could it be related to my headache??
should i be ask my doctor about this??
why can i bend my neck to the left which i used to can but i can't anymore.
do you have any suggestion??

Juli
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:45 pm

It is not uncommon to have one direction of neck movement painful or restricted compared to the other direction.
Given the normal MRI and resolution of flu symptoms, I would consider the neck problem to be mechanical in nature.
I would first consider a chiropractor or physical therapist who can evaluate the neck for any needed adjustment or mobilization treatments.
Take care and let us know how it goes.
 desiree33fitz - Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:12 pm

i was in a four wheeler accident 3 days ago... i fell on my back and twisted it and when i twisted i heard my back crack by my shoulder blade... not to mention the fourwheeler rolled on me... i have pain in my back when i take deep breathes or cough etc.. but i can move my shoulder .. i wasn't sure if it was a stained muscule or if it was something to do with my ribs, spine.. etc.. not sure if i should go to the dr. or if this is something that will heal it self in time???? HELP!!
 juli1004 - Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:07 am

I have been going to physical therapy for my back pain but me and my physical therapist agree that I should go there anymore because all does increases my pain. I talk to my primary doctor about sending me to pain management clinic but she told me that all they going to do is give me strong medication. my doctor doesn't want that. I talk to my doctor about my neck but she said it's fine. she told me just put some heat and take Advil.
chiropratic don't take my insurance.

Juli
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue May 05, 2009 11:51 am

Pain management can also do back injections if indicated.
 juli1004 - Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:56 am

I don't understand why my doctor doesn't want to do more test. i have done an x-ray on my back last year and it came out to be normal. i had one more week to wait for to see physical therapist. I could understand about why i can't do an MRI because my insurance won't cover. i did a physical therapy last time and it failed.
I'm hoping that it will be different this time because my headache is a lot better.
am i too young to have an rhumotoid arthritis?? or fibromyalgia. the doctor told me that it's a possiblility but she said i'm too young for it. i'm going to be 26 soon in next month.

i feel hopeless.

Juli
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:18 pm

Testing for rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is easy enough with blood work but typically RA affects multiple small joints e.g. in the hands and feet.

I still would look to having an MRI especially with numbness or tingling in the limbs coinciding with spinal area pain.

|