Question: Broken fibula with immense pain when standing

acm245 - Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:23 pm

I recently broke my fibula on the lower part of my leg near my ankle. I started with a splint and then got a cast.The first two or three days with my cast were fine and I had no major pain. However, now I can't stand up with my crutches for more than ten seconds (literally) with out the desperate need to elevate my leg. Why is this happening all of a sudden and what is the cause?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:11 pm

I am sorry to hear about your broken leg.

With a casted limb (in your case, lower leg), it important to feel the toes making sure they are warm and have good sensation. Too much swelling in the leg can cut off blood flow to and from the leg and compress nerves to the foot.

Generally, the limb will hurt more when you stand. Blood is pooling in the limb. It pools because the lower leg muscles can not contract and work to pump the blood back up the leg. So stopping and elevating the leg periodically is important. Pain is the body's natural way of protecting the limb from too much swelling.

Nevertheless, it is important to call the orthopedist and let them know what is happening, they may need to check and/or change the cast.

Let us know how things go and if we can answer any more questions.
 acm245 - Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:16 pm

Thank you for your response. I went to the orthopedist today and you were definately right. It also didn't occur to me that my cast was too loose. Which it was so I got a new, more snug, and comfortable cast. I plan on resting my leg more often than I have been and not being up and around so much. Thank you again for your advice (:

|