Question: Pinky Stiff And Always Hurts

weknowhowtolive - Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:21 am

My left pinky finger is always sore and stiff. Its very inflexible, ie, I can barely touch my thumb to my pinky finger and it is impossible to make a "3" sign with my index, middle and ring fingers without assisting my pinky.

I do not remember at any time breaking or fracturing it, and it doesnt seem swollen.

I have no idea what to do about it, and I don't have medical insurance to get it checked out or xrayed.

I'm 23 so I doubt arthritis is the problem :)
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:19 pm

Age matters with arthritis especially when determining which kind of arthritis but any one can get arthritis which simply means inflammation of a joint.

Some remedies for a stiff and sore joint include acetominophen or ibuprofen, warm compresses followed by gentle passive motion (use your other hand to gently bend the pinky), and support (there are self adhesive stretchy bandages on the market that works nicely when wrapping digits - not too tight though).

Repetitive work with the hands can cause joint inflammation. What kind of work do you do?

Let us know how things turn out. Take care.
 weknowhowtolive - Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:14 pm

Thanks for the info. I've tried taking ibuprofen and it helps take away the pain but its only temporary. It seems to be the second knuckle only, ie I can bend the last knuckle and it doesnt hurt and I can bend it from the joint/knuckle at the base but the middle knuckle feels as if the bones are fused almost.

I type a lot, and I also play mandolin which requires me to stretch that finger, but I've had this longer than I've been playing. Also when I type I don't use that finger much and it doesnt seem to hurt when I type.

My main question I guess is, why is it lacking in flexibility so much? My other fingers can all bend normally but this one seems to just not bend right, as if there was a break in the past that didnt heal right, but I've never injured that finger as far as I know.

Should I break down and pay for xrays to see if there is some sort of spur or something affecting the mobility of hte finger?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:19 am

To get a clearer understanding of why the knuckle does not bend, an xray would be helpful.
Only the 5th digit radiographed should not be too pricey.
Keep us posted.

|