Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: achilles strain, marathon runner

adcockcraig - Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:56 am

I strained my achilles resently and I am running a half-marathon 2/13/2009. How do I minimize the pain while training and not injure it more?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:34 pm

To treat acute inflammation in a tendon, use ice packs or ice massage and NSAIDS...and perhaps some compression (ACE wrap, neoprene sleeve). Ice is done after the exercise.

Remember the basics of warming the tissue and stretching before exercise and stretching after exercise.

An effective linament is a 50%/50% mix of salicylate cream and menthol ointment or cream (both can be found over the counter at the pharmacy). Rub this into the tendon and apply a heating pad for 20 minutes 1-2 x a day.

All the best to you.