News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Is it possible to fix bad posture?

jowharshamshiri - Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:34 am

I am 19 years old and i major in computers. i have spend countless hours sitting in front of a computer screen for the past 4-5 years. That has led to my bad posture which during the last year has become more evident. Now when i lay facing down my back between my hands is arched up.
Is there a way to fix it?
Can it cause me any problems in my later years?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:32 pm

User avatar Hello,
The answer to your question is yes and yes.

The arching of the back between the shoulders is called kyphosis. Desk work causes rounded shoulders, forward head, and sometimes kyphosis.

Exercises to remedy poor posture include strengthening the muscle of the upper and mid back and stretching the chest and anterior shoulder muscles. Also, general fitness is important to maintain good tone throughout the entire trunk (sitting for a long time promotes poor muscle strength and decrease cardovascular health).

While working, take a break every 30 minute to stretch your arms overhead. Also, there is a classic door way exercise in which you place your palms on either side of a doorway and lean forward stretching the front shoulders and chest. Lastly, stand with your posterior shoulders, back of head, and buttocks against a wall, and feet slightly out from the wall for a good posture stretch....progress from arms at your side to overhead while maintaining contact (head, posterior shoulders, and buttocks against wall).

If in doubt, see a physician who can refer you to a physical therapist.

Let us know how it goes.

ps Many elderly folks suffer from kyphotic posture - some of which started during their youth. This hinders their mobility and ability to do daily functions. So, good posture when young is important.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:54 pm

User avatar Hello,
It may also help to get an xray of the thoracic spine to measure the kyphosis.

Sometimes Scheuermanns Disease is misdiagnosed as poor posture.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here