News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Broken Clevical in 27 y/o male

Howie66 - Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Hey Guys..

I recently broke my left clevicle( collar bone), clean break in the middle, plus 2 fractures to either side of the clean brake.

It was the result of mountainbiking accident, where I landed on my head and shoulders, resulting in this.

My question for you all is this: How long will it take before I can safely lift heavy items over head height.

My job requires me to do a lot of heavy, over-head lifting. I lift 20 foot long metal bars, which wiegh approx 21kg. I lift them straight up and they sort of balance until I slot them into a hole. A lot of straining is required, with outstretched arms.

Someone told me that my collar bone will never return to normal again.. and I could have some shoulder soreness for the rest of my life.

Im just wondering will I ever be able to do this job again, or will I be right once its healed? Or should I wait 6-12 months?

Thanks for your help

Howie.
 Dr. mnermis - Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:58 pm

midshaft fractures of the clavical bone heals and gains its initial strength nearly 3 months in most of the cases.

distance between both ends of the fractured bone or overriding is important for healing time and shoulder function.

if there is any gap at the fracture site, it will need more time to heal, maybe will not heal and pseudoarthrosis may occur.

if there is any overriding between the ends of the broken bone, overriding distance is important. More than 2.5 cm overriding may cause shoulder problems, like pain and decreased range of motion.

so i need to see your x-ray for giving more imformation.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here