News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: finger Fracture, without swelling?

mmdambro - Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:50 am

I fell snowboarding yesterday, I slid off the rail and my face hit the snow pretty hard but not hard enough to cause any cuts. When I stood up I had bad tingling in both of my hands and it was focused on both of my index fingers. Today (1 day after) I have pain and soreness as well as the bad tingling in my hands. I am able to do any and all rotations with both index fingers as well as bend them against pressure in all directions. There is also no swelling nor discoloration. I have had a fractured finger before and it was a similar pain but much worse, and it swelled a lot. Should I just buddy tape both of my fingers? Why is it the same fingers on both hands? I don't remember actually hitting my fingers or hands very hard when I fell.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:14 am

User avatar Hello,
With a traumatic fall of hitting your face hard on the snow with sudden tingling in both hands and index fingers, we would recommend immediate medical evaluation of your neck for fracture, dislocation and/or nerve damage.

This may turn out to be nothing serious but important to see a physician to evaluate you and order neck films - flexion and extension cervical xrays.

Take care and let us know how it goes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here