Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Neck Pain and Crunching

WelshMatt - Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:10 am

I was wondering if someone could help me with something that is concerning me. For the past few days I have had neck pain at the very base of my neck towards the left. Whenever I turn my head, I can hear a crunching sound coming from the neck in that region. I have isolated it to a single point on the axis of rotation and it clicks whenever my head goes past that point. It also makes me feel rather dizzy when this happens. I work at a computer and would consider myself to have bad posture. At work I view a number of different monitors, some of which are not in the most ergonomic position. I have been back at work for about a week after 15 days off, so maybe this pain is down to getting used to it again?

Also I play football and had an awkward fall on Tuesday, and as the pain came on Wednesday, I am worried that I may have damaged something in my neck without realising. Obviously, I don't want to go to a doctor for them to just tell me that it is nothing, so I was wondering whether you think that it could be something worth getting checked out.

Can someone please help?

Kind Regards,
Matt
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:32 pm

User avatar Hello Matt,
Often with neck strains and sprains, crunching sensations occur. Crunching tells me that the area is out of balance (muscle strength/tightness), has some inflammation, and/or in general needs some attention.

With pain, crunching is of more concern. A skilled chiropractor or osteopath may be of assistance to xray the neck and make any needed adjustments.

For sure, correcting posture on a daily basis as well as postural exercises throughout the week will preserve you neck for years to come. Very important.

Let us know how it goes.

|