Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Radiofrequency Ablation of Osteoid Osteoma of Femoral Head

snorton711 - Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:56 pm

I recently had a radiofrequency ablation done on a osteoid osteoma of my femoral head. I had the benign tumor for about two years until I just couldn't take the pain and had RFA done. I had the procedure done on January 2, 2009. The doctors have instructed to me to use crutches for six weeks while no weight bearing on my left leg. The procedure went fine until a week after the surgery I started getting a dull pain while sitting. When I lay down and sleep I don't feel any pain or discomfort at all. The pain feels like its at the joint and it is lessened by ibuprofen but I can still feel its there. The pain is not very strong at all, and is more like a discomfort which makes readjust while sitting. Mentally I am very stressed and would love if someone could shed some light on what it could be. Thanks!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:25 pm

Medical literature reports good results with RFA for femoral osteomas. Most people are painfree and fully functioning as soon as 1-3 months post procedure certainly at the 12 month mark. Many people report painfree symptoms 1-7 days after procedure but sometimes pain can linger.
It would be good to call your physician's office and ask about expecting duration of pain and if you should be seen sooner than your scheduled follow up.
As long as there is no new swelling and redness around the joint and no fever, this pain probably will subsided with time and ability to bear some weight on the leg.
Did the physician order no weight at all on the leg or are you following the weight bearing precautions strickly.

Let us know how the your condition turns out.
 snorton711 - Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:52 pm

Thanks so much for your response! I have continued to have pain in my left buttox and groin area when sitting. It has been about eight days since this pain started and once again, its not really pain, more of a discomfort/burning feeling. Ibuprofen really doesn't get rid of it (400mg). I sleep fine with no signs of pain at all. I have been really good since the surgery with not weight bearing on the leg. I have maybe three times accidently put on weight on it briefly. I did notice a tingle in the bottom of my foot those few times i put weight on it but that was almost 5 days ago. There is no redness, no swelling that I can notice with my eye, and no fever. It was doctors orders to stay off of the leg for six weeks and I intend to do that and longer if needed. I have only a few times accidently put weight on the leg for seconds if that. Is there any way to tell what the pain is? Or do I need to just wait and see what happens? Also, are there any signs I should watch that would indicate a complication? Thanks so much for your time, I really appreciate it!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:46 pm

How does the leg respond to non weight bearing motion ie knee and hip bending, moving the leg sideways, etc? Does moist heat and gentle motion make any difference in the hip?

Prescription strength ibuprofen is 800mg 3x a day with food. Consult physician if you have had a history of stomach ulcers or reflux before long term use of NSAIDS.

Keep us posted.
 snorton711 - Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:12 am

I forgot about responding but I do have pretty good movement of the leg sideways, up and down, etc. Although I feel kind of stiff having not put weight on it for almost six weeks. I feel like warm baths help but then when I sit down I still feel the burning. This is now the fifth week of the burning sensation. I feel it more now only in the buttox and a little down my left leg. I have my first follow up visit on Friday and hopefully I will be able to bear weight on it but I still have no idea what this could be. Any idea of what could be going on? Thanks so much for your help!!
 shuttervector - Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:37 pm

I am looking for a doctor in Barcelona, Spain who does radiofrequency ablation for osteoid osteoma of the femur.

|