News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Sporadic lower sacrum pain and constipation

merrique - Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:16 pm

For the first time ever, I had excruciating ache in my lower butt region, on Monday 29th Dec. I had been fairly constipated for the preceding few days. I had no idea what was up, but thought it might be a bruised tailbone.

I went on Thursday the 31st to the doctor and a sports medicine expert examined me (a drop in appointment). He felt my back and then did an internal anal feel. He said it was a spot on the lower part of the sacrum that was very tender from outside, but he could not feel it inside because it was too high up. He suggested I try to treat the constipation and prescribed a laxitive. He said it might have also been caused by prolonged sitting as I was on holiday for a week.

I've been trying to treat the constipation for 2 weeks now with semi-success. Overall though it's still a bigger issue than I've ever had in my life with this. The ache went away on the 1st of Jan and has just retunred again today. I'm worried that it's going to get worse.

Meanwhile I also am very late in my cycle (very unusual) and visited my doctor onMonday Jan 12. She gave me a blood test for pregnancy as I am currently trying to conceive. It was negative. My last period was December 4th. She has told me to schedule a pelvic ultrasound in the next week or so to ensure I do not have a cyst or something else. I told hr about the sacrum pain, but when I saw her it had not returned.

Are all these things likely related?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:52 pm

User avatar Hello,
The source of this pain sounds elusive. All that has been done or scheduled to be done sounds reasonable.

About the pain, has it been directly over the sacrum or actually in the buttock musculature.

The sciatic nerve runs out of the pelvis and into the leg and can be palpated in the buttock area. Does the pain radiate?

Is it relieved with bowel movement.

For constipation, folks have found success with warm ginger ale and apple juice (50/50). If all else fails, a tablespoon of mineral oil orally will move the bowels.

Let us know how things turn out.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here