News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Scoliosis

rigs11 - Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:21 pm

I am a 41 year old female with scoliosis diagnosed about 7 years ago. I am an avid runner. I have a recurring problem with left hip pain. It is painful to walk and stand. Sometimes when I walk, my left foot gets numb. I have been to the chiropractor who alleviates the pain somewhat but only temporarily. My spine has a 15 degree curve. I have been doing spine stretches, riding on a stationery bike (since I cannot run now), and core strengthening exercises. I don't know what else to do. Should I have an MRI done since I know that xrays do not always show everyting. My most recent xrays were done a month ago. They were all spinal xrays which showed the scoliosis.
Thank you![/b]
 Dr. A. Saif - Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:48 am

User avatar Dear Mrs Riggs,

Apologies for the rather long delay in responding. Some of the sysptoms that you are getting do suggest a nerve root entrapment. Certainly scoliosis can be associated with this. Th treatment you are having is a reasonable for this I would guess...as a first line. Surgical options may include, epidural injections and decompression...I doubt that correction of scoliosis would be contemplated as the scoliosis is probably well established by now.

An MRI may help...but is sometimes tricky to interpret in the presence of scoliosis.

Regards

Saif
 awebst5 - Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:34 pm

My daughter just turned 4 and I was just told she has an 8 degree curve in her back. Can I do anything now to help it stop?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue May 05, 2009 11:44 am

User avatar Hello,
Since you gave me a measurment of the scoliosis angle, an xray must have been taken.

An 8 degree curve is mild. Observation is the treatment at this point and remeasure in 12 months - depending on you and your physician's comfort level. A lot of skeletal growth will occur over the next few years so remeasuring will be needed.

You may check with your local physical therapist for an exercise program. Bracing is not needed at this time.

Take care.
 nelson - Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:56 pm

My fourteen year old grandaughter was diagnosed with moderate Scoliosis last year. She is active in school sports as her doctor has recommended. She has been suffering from the sudden onset of acute upper back pain when she ingests anything hot or cold. What would cause this and should she be seen by her physician. Please note that she was also fitted with a mouth appliance (non-removeable) to correct an overbite. However, she says the back pain started before the retainer was installed.
 delibeauty - Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:03 am

hi. Im 14 and I was recently diagnosed with scoliosis. I was told I have a 6 degree curve on my lower back and a 3 degree curve on my upper back. is this something I should worry about? also sometimes I get stabbing shoulder pain on my left shoulder. I've gone to therapy but I still get the pain.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here