News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Mid/Upper back pain on one side

spill - Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:29 pm

For about the past three months, I have been experiencing a sharp pain between my left shoulder blade and my spine. It occurs when I put my shoulders back, put my shoulder down, take a really deep breath/sneeze/cough, and anything that uses the muscles in that area. I have no pain when sleeping. I don't remember doing anything to cause the pain, just noticed it one day.

So far I have tried heat (very little relief), STIM (no relief), deep-tissue massage (very little relief), chiropractic care (no relief), and stretching (often causes pain) and strengthening (causes pain). The pain is different than what I would associate with a knot in my back or muscular strain. It is a very sharp pain.

I'm really not sure what I should do at this point. Continue with chiropractic care and stretching/strengthening? Or see an orthopedist? I would like to know what could possibly be wrong or causing the pain.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:43 pm

User avatar Hello,

Interscapular pain can be quite bothersome and difficult to treat. I would think a muscular problem would have responded to the modalities you mentioned.

This may be a problem of the thoracic spine itself or of the attachments of the ribs to the thoracic spine.

Consider doing an MRI of the area since conservative treatment has failed.

Keep us posted.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here