Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Spine popping toward ground when laying down

crum26 - Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:40 pm

22, F. I was diagnosed with Lordosis and slightly uneven hips. I take Ibuprofen for the pain, however, my back feels the best when laying down. Anytime I lay flat on my back on a hard surface, my spine pops down toward the floor. When I try to sit back up, the pain is so sharp and unbearable that I must turn onto my side before I can stand up. Is this part of Lordosis or is something else wrong?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:37 pm

Thanks for writing in.
Lordosis to a mild degree is normal for the lumbar spine however in some cases, like yours, there is an excess of lordosis.
Pain can occur with increasing the lordosis via extending the spine. In your case, sitting up from lying on your back increases the pain (just the opposite). However, I think the pain is due to the lordosis.
When we lay down on our backs the spine flattens and the lumbar lordosis reverses. Sitting up reverses the lordosis even more...ie flexes the spine (instead of extending it - increasing the lordosis). So, for some reason, your back pops when you lay down and hurts when you sit up.
It is very difficult to figure out exactly where and why this is happening.
It may be prudent to talk to your physician about seeing a physical therapist. With lordosis it is important to do daily back exercises but not just any exercise. There should be a program developed personally just for you.

Take care and let us know how this goes.