Question: Football (Soccer) Injury

INJURYPRONE - Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:43 am

Hi all,

Hoping that someone out there can give me some help.

I have been struggling with an injury in my right big toe for the past month or so.

I was playing football (soccer, depening on your geographical location :P) in early December, and during the game I was tripped by a player on the opposite team. I'm not too sure exactly what happened but I fell forwards and I think my right foot jammed in the floor (I play indoors on concrete) and I fell forwards.

Immediately after this, I felt a pain in my big toe (although it was quite slight) and I felt a sever pain in the area around where my hip meets the gluteus muscle. This pain was severe and affected me when I tried to run in the rest of the game.

The following day I didn't have the hip pain, but the toe pain persisted. I tried to keep off it, and it's been feeling slightly better since (I've not been playing football since the injury) but it's still not 100% healed.

There seems to be a swelling on the base of the big toe, which has subsided slightly but is still present even today. It causes me pain when I bend my toe fully downwards, where there is a sharp pain around the bump. It feels almost like I am pulling ligaments/tendons which are trapped within the bump? There is practically no pain when I bend the toe upwards.

When I walk for a long time, there seems to be a pain in the ball of my foot, but it subsides when I stop walking and then feels fine when I'm off my toe.

Any ideas what this could be? Do I need to see a doc?!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:57 pm

It sounds like you have sprained your first MTP (metatarsal phalangeal) joint...aka turf toe.
Turf toe can be treated with rest, ice, anti-inflamatory medicine and gradually return to sport. Sometimes taping or a stiffer shoe is needed to support the toe.
Difficulty as you have mentioned is walking, running and pushing off the toe - all movements required of football (soccer).

An xray may help rule out an avulsion fracture.

Seeing your family physician for an xray order and some physiotherapy would be appropriate.

Take care and keep us posted.
 muldooy - Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:50 am

Hi
My son was diagnosed with a Pelvic avulsion fracture after an injury playing soccer. The orthopedic surgeon just said that he must rest and can continue with sport depending on the pain levels. My question is STILL, if he wants to continue with sport and specifically athletics early in the new year, and if he feels NO pain, can he continue will full athletics participation?

So if my understanding is correct is that when the pain is gone, the fracture has healed altogether?
I will appreciate your view on this, I am just worried that it may cause further injury.

Yvette

|