News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: "middle" phalange hair line fracture

buju357 - Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:06 am

Hi
3 days ago after being servery antagonized I punched a wooden cupboard. x rays showed a "middle" phalange hair line fracture on all 3 middle fingers. the 3 knuckles are slightly painful , there was some swelling in the fingers and metacarpal but has mostly gone now , the 3 affected fingers are able to move freely with no "deformities" , I have full feeling through the length of the fingers and no tingling.
The 3 finders have been in a splint for 3 days now. I work in the computer field and these splints are really starting to anoy me ...lol

question:
how long must the splint stay on ?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:14 pm

User avatar Hello,
The spint is used to protect the bones and joints from further damage and to allow time for healing.

It will take 3-6 weeks for the bone to heal. Maintaining full and normal hand range of motion will be important so gentle range of motion exercises may begin at week 2-3. However check with your physician before starting any exercise with the hand.

Whether you can type without the splint will depend on the extent of the fracture and the amount of pain and swelling both during and after the activity. Your hand will tell you if the activity is too much too soon. Again, check with your physician before doing activity without the splint.

Thanks for writing in and hope your hand gets to feeling better.

ps How's the wooden cupboard?
 buju357 - Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:34 am

hi

thanks for the reply , yes , you are right , my fingers did "tell" me when they where ready , I actually only wore the splint for 1 week , I couldn't stand it any longer than that , but after 2 weeks the fingers are healing well most of the swelling has gone down but the knuckles are still a bit sore , but getting better every day , I have been taking arnica tablets and I really do believe that this speeds up recovery. I have placed the hand on "light duty" and use my left hand for activities that require strength.
btw , the cupboard is fixed , you could hardly tell that it was damaged. (from now on Im keeping my temper under control !)

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here