News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: XRay Diagnosed Ankle Sprain now having Numbness & Tingling

mindy21 - Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:34 pm

I was diagnosed at an urgent care center with a sprained ankle after rolling it over in a tennis match on Sunday. I have it in a gel cast and am on crutches for 1 to 2 weeks per their instructions. It is swollen extremely around the ankle bone area and can't bare any weight. Above the ankle bone on the lateral side and towards the back there is a red dot with a line going around towards the back of my heel. I assume this is the main spot of the strain/tear. I am at my desk job keeping it up on a chair for elevation. The foot rest is just slightly lower than my chair I sit in. The problem is that it hurts more to keep it up... I start to get numb and tingly like my foot is falling asleep. Even after I bring it down from the foot rest it is as if I can feel the blood flow in a tingly way for a long time. There isn't any discoloration of my toes.. some slight bruising starting around the ankle. Should I be concerned about blood clots or nerve damage? Should I see an orthopedic?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:24 am

User avatar Hello,
I am sorry to hear about your ankle.

Excessive swelling can compress nerves and blood vessels causing numbness and coldness in the extremity.

Is there numb and tingly sensation at times other than after elevating the foot on the stool at work. It may be just this position - stretching posterior leg tissue including sciatic nerve. How about when you lie flat and elevate the foot.

Other helps with swelling are ice packs and ACE wrap.

Try another position for elevating the foot, continue with previously recommended treatment, add ice packs and ACE wrap. If no change after a few days or if it worsens see your family physician.

Let us know how it goes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here