Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Lower back pain with small dent.

gatemaster - Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:49 am

Hi, recently my lower back has been giving me problems for about a week or two and I don't exactly know what is happening. I noticed a small dent in the lower central part of my back where the pain is centered a few days ago. On the outside of it, my skin is red, swollen and painful to the touch. Everyday the pain slowly gets worse, but I haven't noticed the dent or swelling grow larger. My moms side of the family has a history of scoliosis, but they all had it when they were kids.(12-15) Is it possible that scoliosis could be the cause? Or could it be something a lot more serious? Please help as best as you can.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:36 am

Scoliosis is a lateral curvature of the spine. It does not present with a dimple or red skin.
It will be important to have your family physician look at the back. With a red swollen skin area at the back area, you think about an abscess or skin infection/irritation.
Also, with the dimpling, checking for spondylolithesis (forward slippage of a vertebrae) is important. Your physician can palpate the spine for a "drop off" sign and order an xray.

Take care and let us know how it goes.

|