News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Lower back pain with small dent.

gatemaster - Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:49 am

Hi, recently my lower back has been giving me problems for about a week or two and I don't exactly know what is happening. I noticed a small dent in the lower central part of my back where the pain is centered a few days ago. On the outside of it, my skin is red, swollen and painful to the touch. Everyday the pain slowly gets worse, but I haven't noticed the dent or swelling grow larger. My moms side of the family has a history of scoliosis, but they all had it when they were kids.(12-15) Is it possible that scoliosis could be the cause? Or could it be something a lot more serious? Please help as best as you can.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:36 am

User avatar Hello,
Scoliosis is a lateral curvature of the spine. It does not present with a dimple or red skin.
It will be important to have your family physician look at the back. With a red swollen skin area at the back area, you think about an abscess or skin infection/irritation.
Also, with the dimpling, checking for spondylolithesis (forward slippage of a vertebrae) is important. Your physician can palpate the spine for a "drop off" sign and order an xray.

Take care and let us know how it goes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here