Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Sciatic nerve pain because of pinched nerve

stepintotheam - Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:56 am

I have had problems with my left leg and especially hip area for the last 3-4 years along with back problems. I have extreme pain when trying to stretch my left leg completely out while sitting or trying to bend over with my feet close together. I am overweight and know this is the main cause. About 2 weeks ago I started having back pain. It got progressively worse and then became extruciating to try to walk, sit, or lay in certain positions. I had severe pain radiating down left leg all the way to my ankle/toes. I went to the doctor and was told that I am having Sciatica pain due to a pinched nerve. My doctor prescribed me anti-inflammatory drugs and muscle relaxers. It has been a few days now and I am able to walk, sit, and stand much better and my back pain is nearly gone. The only problem now is while walking, sitting, or standing my left leg goes numb with sharp to minor pain every once in awhile and no matter what position I lay in, my left leg has extreme pain and muscle spams and I am having a lot of difficulty sleeping. Is this normal and is there anything I can do to help it?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:43 am

Your description of pain and numbness down the leg is classic for sciatic nerve impingement. The question becomes where and how is the nerve being pinched.

In the buttock, where the sciatic nerve exits the pelvis, it may be compressed by a muscle called the piriformis - piriformis syndrome.
In the back itself, nerve roots (which make up the sciatic nerve) may be pinched by a bulging disc or bony spur.
An MRI of the spine may help rule out any central source of sciatic nerve impingement.
It is important to treat the cause of sciatica since nerve damage can cause leg weakness, muscle twitching, loss of sensation and pain.

Take care and let us know how things turn out.
 HALISMOM - Mon May 11, 2009 1:04 pm

Hello I am new to these forums, however I have the same issue, that being spondolysis which has bulged a disc and pincking nerve.
I had though a simple dystectomy could be done, however Neuo Surgeon says that the disc must be remove, and replace. Very extensvie surgery.
I am a single mom surrently without a job. Please any advie would be great
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu May 14, 2009 9:58 pm

Back surgery is major surgery.

If there is spondylysis (fracture in the pedicles of the vertebrae) without anterior slippage then conservative treatment may be the way to go. Rehab for the disc protrusion is tricky since you do not want to cause the vertebra to slip forward (spondylolythesis) causing instability, pain and potentially worsen the neurological symptoms.

I would talk to the neurosurgeon to see what conservative treatments can be done and if surgery can wait.

All the best to you.

|