News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Broken Ribs - bruising returned,

remez16 - Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:00 pm

i broke my ribs 2 months ago, i was fine and they healed. however yesterday i went running and the bruising appeared again. today i have lost quite a bit of blood from my vagina, however im not due a period and im on the pill. ive also been coughing up blood over the last 2 months but ive put it down to having a cough or whatever. i am in pain with my ribs.
what do you think the fresh bruising means? and what do you advise i do?
thanks
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:28 am

User avatar Hello,
I am sorry to hear about your condition.

Couging up blood is a sign of a potential serious condition (e.g. pneumonia, upper GI bleed) and should be evaluated by a physician.
I do not believe the vaginal bleeding is related to the cough or rib pain.
Not sure about the increased bruising. Bruising occurs from broken blood vessels in the skin and can last from days to weeks. You may have accidentally bump the area causing further bruising.

Certainly, follow up with your family physician is needed due to the coughing up blood.

Let us know how it goes. Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here