News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Degenerative Bone Diseases

Question: Articular Knee Cartilage damage

Falcone - Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:03 pm

I discovered I had articular cartilage damage in my knees a few years ago. Although I have no pain running, It is uncomfortable (although not painful) to squat down and my knees make tearing/cracking sounds.

Does this mean I am likely to have walking problems as I grow older? Also will I lose height over time because of this?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:51 pm

User avatar Hello,

No, you should not lose height with degenerative knee damage.

Yes, as time goes on, you may have difficulty walking ...maybe at 50 years old or older. This is a gradual process though and does not occur overnight.

Maintaining good leg strength and flexibility will be important. Also, maintain a healthy weight. Obesity will worsen knee degeneration.

If a lot of grinding sensation with squats than avoid that exercise.
And swimming or biking may be better options that running.

Let us know how it goes or if you have any other questions.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here