News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Numbness in Fingers Spreading after Broken Wrist a Sign

eeese - Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:22 am

My Wrist was broken in November and was put in cast without surgery. The cast was removed in late December and I am in Physical Therapy. My Therapist is concerned that two fingers are still very swollen and numb and the numbness seems to be spreading from the tips down to the palm. I suspect ulnar nerve damage, as my Dr said, and he believes the swelling will go down. But yesterday, a woman at therapy warned me her mother had swelling and it could be a sign of an oncoming stroke or other condition. Is this posssible?
Seperately, I have been suffering from some great fatigue and hair loss,etc and thought it was a thyroid issue (My psychiatrist had me on Lithium) and had blood tests. My TSH levels were in the low normal range (.525) of the .5 - 5.0 (or .3 - 3.0) whichever range you use. I heard low thyroid function could aggravate numbness and thought this may be prolonging the issue. My T4 level is normal.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:11 am

User avatar Hello,
Thanks for writing in.
First, about the thyroid: a low TSH usually is a sign of hyperthyroidism (symptoms: intolerance to heat, weight loss, anxiety and nervousness, palpitations). Check for a low free T3. Occasionally, the T4 does not convert to T3 (activated component of thyroid hormone).

Regarding the finger numbness. An EMG would show any ulnar nerve palsy (which innervates the intrinsic hand muscles and skin over the 5th digit and 1/2 of the 4th digit).

It is important to control the swelling (elevation, compression, and ice) as the swelling may cause some tingling or numbness.

In essence, follow up with the orthopedist and family physician for above considerations.

Let us know how it goes. Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here