Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: does high jump affect your back?

garwood - Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:53 pm

hi, im sarah, im 16, and i am a high jumper, this upcoming season will be my fifth year, and all five years my main focus has been on high jumping. i do run, but only a 400m (one lap), but ever since last season, my back has been hurting everyday. i noticed the pain after my third season, but then during my fourth season in mid-air i through out my back, well, during the jump i felt like a sharp pinch, and it stopped me from finishing the jump, the trainer checked me out and just said i pulled a muscle. but it has been about eight months since that happened, and everyday my back hurts so bad, it is really hard to lay down quicky, i have to ease my way to have my back flat, and every so often i feel the same sharp pain, as i did that day. i twisted it on my right side, its hard to explain where, but like a few inches about my waist. and both sides hurt, not just the one. i try everything, streching, cracking, it all takes away the pain for about two minutes, then it comes back. i really would just like to know, whether it is just a sprain or a pull, is it serious? should i get it checked out further? any information would help, thanks!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:50 am

User avatar Hello Sarah,
Thank you for the inquiry.
Your back pain description makes sense. Sometimes young women suffer from hyperlordosis of the low back. High jumping especially going over the bar requires hyperextension of the spine. Together, your body may be telling you that hyperextension is a problem.
An orthopedic physical therapist or a sports medicine physician can look at the posture of your spine in various positions and movements to diagnose your back condition. It will also be important to xray the lower spine to check for spondylolithesis (forward slippage of a vertebrae).
In the meantime, use analgesics, ice and heat to control the pain...and see your family physician who can recommend physical therapy or see a sports medicine physician.
Take care and let us know how it goes.

|