Question: Suspected facture in the lower leg

rhy10987 - Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:47 am

hi,
i'm 21, 6'2'' and wieght jst over 14st. While playing football on saturday i was involved in a high impact tackle, i immediately had to be replaced because i could not put much pressure on due to the impact down my lower leg. During saturday night my leg swelled significantly and i still found in difficult to walk, however now on Wednesday the swelling has considerably down and there is very little briusing but there is still a sharp pain while walking and if i put pressure on the right side of my lower leg agin there is a sharp pain. What could be causing this pain?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:33 am

I am sorry to hear about your injury.

It would be wise to xray the leg. High impact trauma and painful weight bearing always neccesitates an xray.

Hopefully, it turns out to be nothing more than a muscle contusion or leg strain.

It is good that the swelling has decreased. If leg swelling worsens, you may develop compartment syndrome which can cause nerve and blood vessel damage and irreversible muscle paralysis.

Hope your recovery is speedy and can soon return to sports.

Thanks for writing in.

|