News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Osteoporosis

Question: Preventing Osteoporosis

sheila373 - Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:31 pm

I am a healthy middle-aged woman and would like to stay that way. Is running/jog-ing better for increasing bone density than weight-training is? I thought you had to stress the bone somewhat but I am also concerned about OVER-stressing my knees and ankles. A trainer at a gym told me the eliptical machine is better for your joints and that lifting weights is what helps prevent osteoporosis. I'm very small and small-boned and it concerns me; I've broken bones in the past. (I thought that if you strengthen the muscles supporting the joints enough, it is best to run.)
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:08 pm

User avatar Hello,
Thanks for writing in.

Yes, studies have shown that high impact exercise increases bone mineral density (especially in young women as they reach their peak bone mass usually in their 20's). As women age, the Improvement lessens and exercise's goal is for maintenance of bone density.

Jogging can increase your risk of foot,ankle, knee and hip problem. So if you plan to start a jogging program, I would recommend 6 weeks of leg strengthening and stretching before starting to run. Also, you should be able to walk at least the same time or distance you plan to run (This should be obvious but some people go right into running - there was a recent report of an unconditioned man who was forced to run mile after mile as training in a "prison boot camp". He suffered bilateral tibial plateau fractures...from running on unconditioned legs.) This preparation will build a good strength and flexibility foundation. The other benefits of running are cardiovascular and some say mental improvement.

The eliptical machine can be incorporated into the 6 weeks conditioning program and can be used as a cross training exercise during your running program.

Yes, smaller framed women tend to become osteoporotic more than heavier women. The exact mechanism is unknown - whether it's thicker bones or the extra weight?

Other factors affecting bone density: hormones (parathyroid, estrogen), nutrition, amount of sun exposure, smoking, excessive alcohol use, and medication (glucocorticoids).

Hope this helps. Keep us posted and happy exercising.
 sheila373 - Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:53 pm

Dear PA-C Plamondon,
Thank-you very much for your careful reply. I really appreciate it. Sorry it took me so long to look it up.
Am still working on getting in my best shape.
I am imagining that my bones will still respond to stimulation even though I'm way past my 20's. But I will work on strenghtening the supporting muscles, etc. I knew that trainer was mistaken! People tend to doubt me because I am small. Gyms hire unqualified people sometimes; I'd like to become a trainer myself!
Thanks again.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here