Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Knee pain following 1/2 Marathon

mac! - Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:02 pm

I am a 57 year old female who ran/walked a 1/2 marathon on 3/15. I have had knee pain on the inside portion of my right knee since the evening of the race. Iced and used Advil for 5 days then saw my family practice doctor who says it will just take time for pain to go away (did an xray which showed minor arthritis in knee). It is now 11 days post race and the stabbing, burning pain has not gotten better. How long should I wait before pressing for a referral?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:29 am

Medial knee pain after run/walk a half marathon is the report. Pain is stabbing or sharp and has not resolved almost 2 weeks post run.
A thorough physical exam would include testing the medial meniscus. The best way to do this is to stand on the affected leg only with knee flexion 30 degrees then twist left and right on the knee. If pain increases then meniscus is likely involved.
It is also important to palpate the knee to see if external structure are the source of pain. If the pain is lower than the knee joint line, this may be pes anserinus bursitis or tendonitis. Another consideration is bone bruise or fracture due to repetitive trauma. This and medial meniscus problems should show up on MRI.
So I may suggest having either MRI or seeing an orthopedist who will check internal and external structure and try to differentiate what is causing the pain.
Bone bruise and stress fractures need time to heal. Medical meniscus problems usu need a scope. And tendonitis/bursitis responds to rest, NSAIDS, and physical therapy.
Let us know how it goes.
 mac! - Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:54 pm

Had surgery for torn meniscus on 5/22. After 4 weeks of at home exercises, I was referred to Physical Therapy 3 x a week for 3 weeks. Still don't have complete range and the pain in my knee is as bad (and sometimes worse) than before the surgery. Have been back to surgeon 3 x-had an injection once which did not help. Have taken Flexoril (no relief) and Lortab (no relief). Pain is at site where meniscus was torn but it is intense, burning pain. Feels like someone has stabbed me with a hot knife. By the end of the day, I can hardly walk. I keep telling surgeon and PT about the pain but both seem to think little of it. It has been almost 3 months since surgery. Shouldn't the pain be lessening by now? I am 57 so I know I won't heal like a 25 year old but I was able to do a 1/2 marathon in March and now I can hardly walk on a flat surface-up hill is almost impossible. My next appointment with surgeon is 9/2. Am I experiencing something normal or should I insist I be seen sooner.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:05 pm

User avatar I would expect less pain and full range of motion by now. The pain level and dysfunction is too much at this point to call is a normal or good result.

Time for a re-evaluation.

Also, sometimes plica can pinch in the knee and cause similar pain. The plica is a redundant fold of tissue usually near the anterior medial aspect of the knee. Ask you orthopedist about it.

|