Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Daily joint pain

Nutmeg - Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:38 pm

I am a 20 year old, 5 foot 7, 190 pound woman and recently my joints (predominantly my ankles) will hurt off an on daily. My ankles make loud popping noises and my knees and lower back can be stiff in the morning. I feel like an old lady. Last Sunday on a trip, I did a good deal of walking. I didn't fall down or anything buy my knee has now become swollen and painful. I can walk on it but if I exert myself even a little bit there is pain below the kneecap. I've been keeping it elevated and with ice since Monday but there has been no relief.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:37 am

The pain in the knees sounds like tendonitis of the patella tendon. This usu responds to ice, NSAIDS, and strengthening/stretching program.
The general joint stiffness and pain you report are in weight bearing joints (ankles, knees, and low back). At 190 lbs and 5' 7'' shedding about 30 lbs may do wonders for these joints. Along with weight loss, a strengthening program is vital to add good support to the joints. Flexible strong muscles not only help us move better but they also provide stability and support to bones and joints.
Before going down the road of extensive testing for rheumatological disorders, I would recommend 3-6 months of gradual total body conditioning. Consistency is the key.
If any problems, see your family physician.
Hope this helps. Take care.
 Stormy68505 - Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:19 pm

Yes i went to the emergemcy room because of severe neck pain and numbness in my thumb was diagnosed with cervical radioculpathy they prescribed me pain meds but when i went to pharmacy they called doctor for some reason and he chose not to fill them after speaking with pharmacy I am still in severe pain what can I do to make it better?
 Kayben - Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:26 pm

I'm not sure where to start a question, I hope I'm contacting the right place...

I have been in severe pain for 8 years now. Its mainly focused on my joints, but my whole body hurts, and I'm tired all the time. I got blood work done a few months ago. (on the blood counts the 10 is suppose to have a tiny 3 above it... I couldn't do it on the computer, sorry)
My WBC 13.5 10 3/uLs my HBG and HCT were within ref range, but on the low side. my PDW 16.2%. Neutrophils 87.7% ;11.9 10 3/uL, Lymphocytes 8.3% 1.1 10 3/UL.

I've had my iron tested a few times in the last year. I am taking ferros sulfate, which was given to me by my doctor. My last Iron count was 13ug/dL and my saturation was 6%. But looking back at the records it had been decreasing consistantly.

My blood has basically been all over the charts. The only "diagnosis" I have gotten has been rheumatoid arthritis. I'm 36. I'm in pain all the time, and don't want to believe that is my only option. I want to get better, I don't feel like my doctor is paying me the time it would require to find answers. Most likely he doesn't have it. But I want to get well. Is there ANYTHING else that could cause these symptoms?
 Dr. A. Saif - Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:15 pm

User avatar Dear Kayben,

Sorry to hear about your condition. Rheumatoid arthritis is sadly quite debilitating conditions, and sounds like you have a had a bad time with it. Your FBC results suggest 1) An elevate white count with netrophila, and 2) anaemia of chronic disease, both consistent with Rheumatoid arthritis but not diagnostic of it. The test that diagnoses this condition is Rheumatoid factor, which I presume you would have had done sometime ago.

In any case this condition is a systemic disease which needs systemic treatments. Mild cases respond to anti-inflammatories and painkillers. Severe varieties need disease modifying drugs and steroids. Both require the attention of a rheumatologist, and a lot of these treatments are "suck it and see" what helps.... Surgery is resorted when joint destruction occurs, but essentially Rheumatoid arthritis is a condition affecting the lining of the joint, not the joint itself, and despite the fluid and swelling that occurs in the joint, initial treatment is almost always pharmacological.

Best wishes

Saif

|