Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Sharp low back pain, triggered

dantescritic - Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:04 am

This back pain was fairly acute for the last 4-6 months not really bothering me that much except for certain periods when it began throbbing quite harshly, so much so that I had to hold on to something to regain my senses although usually it would go away all on it's own. I might mention that for the last 3-4 months I have been sitting in front of a computer for 10 hours daily, sometimes more. Three days ago I decided to finally get outside and get some exercise, things seemed to be going fairly well though I was slightly winded.

About twenty minutes of running around shooting hoops and I decided to call it quite, I tossed the ball against the backboard and as I bent down to pick it up I got excruciating lower back pain, I would call it sharp and it certainly made me stop and think I might be having some horrible fracture. I was able to walk home fairly easily although the pain was throbbing quite severely, the pain has continued steady for the last few days although every now and again I get that terribly sharp lower back pain "usually because I am leaning on something for too long or sitting in the computer chair, I have found that putting both my legs underneath me in the computer chair brings almost total relief for a few minutes.

I might mention that I met with a neurophysiologist who gave me a physical strength test which was fine, but when he ran a certain instrument "Sorry I don't know the technical term, looks like a small pizza cutter" across the outside of my legs my left outside leg was far more numb than the right. Several months ago I ignored numbness on my left left leg and last two toes on my left foot that eventually went away on their own. Also the only procedure that seemed to be able to momentarily recreate the pain was when he pushed quickly and with force on the back of my head.

Really hope someone can help with these symptoms I am feeling and let me know what's going on.

20 years old
5,11
210 LBS
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:18 pm

You have written about 4-6 months of low back pain with some lateral foot numbness then after getting some exercise at the bball court sharp pain bending over. Prolonged sitting is worse but with feet under you makes it feel better.
No leg weakness but numbness.
Any imaging studies like MRI and xray would be helpfull especially with chronicity of the pain and numbness.
A month or so of physical therapy would help as well.
If MRI shows nothing more than mild disc disease, I would go full tilt at the rehab program; otherwise the neurosurgeon should evaluate for any neurological involvement based on MRI.
More than likely this is a mechanical back problem that will resolve with rehab.
Let us know how it goes.

|