Question: Chronic knee pain w/previous injury

loder - Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:53 am

Hi. I am a 33 year old male, about 60-70 pounds overweight. I've been have chronic pain in my left knee for a little over a year now. It's always worse at the end of the day after activity. I had an accident 10 years ago when a car I was working on slipped off jackstands and landed on my left knee. I was able to pull it out since it was on gravel and was walking (gingerly) on it the next day. I didn't go to the ER but I should have. I was wondering what type of injury this may have caused and what kind of problems I should expect as I get older.

Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:12 pm

It is so hard to tell what could have been damaged from the car landing on your knee. Any of the structures internally (cartilage, menisci, ligaments, bone) or externally (ligaments, bone, joint capsule) could have been damaged.
With pain that worsens at the end of the day, I think about tendonitis or arthritis.
Both may cause pain in the evening plus can cause morning stiffness - usually arthritis more than tendonitis.
I would recommend seeing your family doc to have the knee examined. In the office, your physciain can test the internal and external structures with certain manuevers and tests.
He may also prescribe anti inflammatory medicine.
Let us know how it goes and if we can answer any further question.

|