Question: Broken clavicle

Cyrus120z - Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:45 am

Hello, last April I got into a wreck (flipped my car twice) and walked away with cut on my head, and arms and a broken clavicle (Collar Bone). I went though all the doctor visits and x-rays, all the treatment given to me was a Figure-o-eight brace and a mini ultrasound unit to help the bone heal, which I was told is what is done in most cases. Well around Dec of last year and early Jan this year, it started to bother me a lot, discomfort, and pain, I figured this was due to the cold weather seeing how other places I have had broken bones tend to get sore during cold temperatures. Well now that its almost April (year later) and warm temperatures, its still been bother me, starting to hurt even more, I would also like to add that my movement in my right arm is limited, been like this since the break, and was told that it should clear with a few months, but still can barely move it around. Mine didn't heal correctly (term being Non-Union i believe) as in lining up the break, and the bone sorta over lapped the other one, and here lately it feels like the top piece is digging into my shoulder, I've check a few website and talked to a few people, and been told that the doctor should have done surgery on me, pull the bones back, connect the end and pin and plate it. The break was about a inch away from my shoulder. Now for my question should I have had surgery for this break, and if so what should i be in store for over this, seeing how that I've been told to get this fix ASAP due to the break being close to something called a A/C joint. Thank you for you help and if you have any questions I'll be more then happy to answer them.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:05 pm

This lateral clavicle fracture with a non union sounds like an Allman Group 2 distal clavicle fracture. This type of clavicle fracture is less common than the middle shaft or proximal third clavicle fracture. Distal clavicle fractures have a higher tendency toward mal union especially if displaced (overlapping). Also, the AC joint can suffer injury along with damage to the stabilizing ligaments.
So, this non union distal clavicle fracture will need some attention by an orthopedic surgeon.
Let us know how it goes and if you have any further questions.

|