Question: Skiing Accident = BROKEN TIBIA & HEAD TRAUMA-symptomschanged

DallasTM - Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:05 am

I had a skiing accident on Monday - Broken Tibia and head concussion. Lost conciousness, some hearing, & at one point emt thought medvac should fly in. Hospital concerned about blood on brain but nothing on CT at that time. Broken Tibia was revealed & leg set in temp. As for the head, nausia was getting better until today. My question - Suddenly tonight my knee seems very warm but the rest of my body is cold and chills along with increased nausia and body shakes. Is this normal? I'm seeking an ortho surg. this week but the change has me concerned. I have the leg above my heart.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:18 pm

With the change of symptoms in the knee (very warm) and body chills, it is important to have the knee examined ASAP especially if there was an open reduction done on the tibia or if the fracture broke through the skin.
The concern is infection.
A physician would be able to diagnose accurately with examination, blood test, and an xray. If a knee joint is infected, we aspirate the fluid and send to lab for analysis and start anti biotics right away.
Let us know how it goes.

|