Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Back spasms without injury

mkymom - Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:28 am

33 yr old female, no recent trauma or injury. I've been having muscle spasms in my upper back, not every day, but off and on for a week or two. It usually starts between my shoulder blades and goes around to my chest. Makes me feel like I'm being squeezed, and it is hard to take a deep breath. I usually have to lay down with pillows under my shoulders and 'stretch' the spasms out. Yesterday I started to have one of these spasms, and in addition to the usual symptoms, the spasm spread to my upper abdomen as well. I'm not sure what could be causing this. I can't remember pulling any muscles or any other type or injury. Any suggestions?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:37 pm

I see or hear a lot of complaints about pain and spasm between the shoulder blades. Sometimes the ribs/vertebrae connection are off a bit and elicit pain and spasm. Other times, it is just a strain in or around the thoracic spine.
You may look into a chiropractic treatment to see if mobilizing the vertebrae or rib cage may fix this.
If you have any family history of early heart issues (heart attack, stents, bypass, stroke) and you have risk factors (smoking, high blood pressure, diabetes, abnormal cholesterol), then it is important to visit a physician for evaluation of your heart. At 33 y.o. heart issues would be an unlikely cause of pain ...but depends on your history.
Let us know how it goes.

|