News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Lower back pain from trying to correct poor posture

Jason55 - Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:14 pm

Hello, I'm a 19 year old male and have noticed that my posture is getting pretty bad. When I look in the mirror, my back is very hunched. I can stand up straight if I want to, but it feels unnatural. I recently decided to try correcting my posture by forcing myself to stand up straight and sit correctly in chairs. The only problem is that this has been causing me quite a bit of lower back pain. When I go to bed, the pain goes away. When I stop worrying about how I sit and stand, there is no pain at all. But, when I spend the entire day trying to stand straight and sit with my back against the chair and my legs forming 90 degree angles, my lower back hurts quite a bit. I should also mention that my neck is bothering me a bit when i turn my head right, but this may be unrelated. Anyway, here's what I'm wondering...

Is it normal to feel lower back pain from forcing yourself to sit/stand straight? Should it go away over time?

And, is this a viable method of fixing my posture? should i try something else?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:33 pm

User avatar Hello,
It sounds like your thoracic area rounds or is kyphotic due to poor posture. When correcting during sitting the low back hurts. This makes sense. When you try to straighten the mid or upper back, you are hyperextending the lower back placing increased stress on the small joints in the lumbar area.
The remedy is balancing the entire trunk musculature...and yes the neck can be affected too.
This will take education from a trained professional like a physical therapist to help you rehab your entire back. The program will be tailored to your condition and should see 50% improvement in 4 weeks.
Exercise and conditioning however should be over a lifetime.
Take care and keep us posted.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here