Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Lower back pain from trying to correct poor posture

Jason55 - Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:14 pm

Hello, I'm a 19 year old male and have noticed that my posture is getting pretty bad. When I look in the mirror, my back is very hunched. I can stand up straight if I want to, but it feels unnatural. I recently decided to try correcting my posture by forcing myself to stand up straight and sit correctly in chairs. The only problem is that this has been causing me quite a bit of lower back pain. When I go to bed, the pain goes away. When I stop worrying about how I sit and stand, there is no pain at all. But, when I spend the entire day trying to stand straight and sit with my back against the chair and my legs forming 90 degree angles, my lower back hurts quite a bit. I should also mention that my neck is bothering me a bit when i turn my head right, but this may be unrelated. Anyway, here's what I'm wondering...

Is it normal to feel lower back pain from forcing yourself to sit/stand straight? Should it go away over time?

And, is this a viable method of fixing my posture? should i try something else?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:33 pm

It sounds like your thoracic area rounds or is kyphotic due to poor posture. When correcting during sitting the low back hurts. This makes sense. When you try to straighten the mid or upper back, you are hyperextending the lower back placing increased stress on the small joints in the lumbar area.
The remedy is balancing the entire trunk musculature...and yes the neck can be affected too.
This will take education from a trained professional like a physical therapist to help you rehab your entire back. The program will be tailored to your condition and should see 50% improvement in 4 weeks.
Exercise and conditioning however should be over a lifetime.
Take care and keep us posted.

|