News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: popping feeling and noise in left shoulder

bruinz19 - Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:09 pm

I'm not quite sure when this started ( about 6 months ago ) but I have been having a popping feeling in my sholder. This does not have any pain at all. Also, it only happens while I am sitting down. Any time I shrug my sholders while sitting I feel and can hear a popping sound. I've done research online and can only find info on rotator cuff injuries. Problem is, I have no pain. What could this be and should I see a Doctor for further info or x-rays?

Thank you very much for your time.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:55 pm

User avatar Hello,
In general joints that pop and crack without pain or instability should not cause much concern. It is in the nature of joints.
Grinding sounds are a little different story as this may lead to degenerative joint problems.
Shoulders, knees, ankles, and the neck are the most common joints to snap, crackle and pop without any associate disease or problem.
Just to be on the safe side, have a physician look at the shoulder function to make sure all is well.
Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here