News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Left leg "pins and needles" after surgery

debbiejo - Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:32 pm

Had a laminectomy on 3/4/09 and they formed a cage around L4-L5 and L5-S1....I am in rehab now and am still unable to stand for longer than 50 seconds.....not walking at all obviously.....Have had MRI's and they say all hardware is in place....my right leg is tingly and my left leg feels like pins and needles...when i try to stand, the therapists are pushing my left knee back to lock it in place and i get an electrical shock from my left lumbar area...it shoots up to my head and down myleft leg....the mri reports reads: S/P bilateral pedicle fusion with pedicle screws in apprarent anatomic position at L4,L5, and S1. S/P placement os prosthetic device at disc spaces L4-5 and L5-S1.... Small central soft disc herniation at L4-5, not deforming the ventral thecal sac with normal sagittal canal and both neural foramina, it is questionable whether this would cause pedicle type of pain. ...Large, well, defined and encapsulated fluid collection in the right paraspinal and the left paraspinal SQ tissue, probably from seroma.

All docs are telling me it is just going to take time, but my surgeon prior to surgery said I would have this surgery and be back at his office in 2wks with a walker....I had to go on a stretcher.....Could you help?.....I am 23 and do not want to be in a wheelchair the rest of my life....

Thanks
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:24 pm

User avatar Hello,
The small disc protrusion should not cause too many symptoms down into the legs especially if it is not compressing the thecal sac (contains the spinal cord and the central roots).
It is important to evaluate the neurological function in the legs which may include EMG and Nerve conduction velocity test and then compare to pre op results. It is important to see why the leg is tingling and pins and needles. Laminectomy goal is to decrease these radicular (radiating) type symptoms. So continuation or worsening symptoms need to be evaluated thoroughly.
Take care and let us know how it goes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here